Monday 4 July 2011

She's a half - Chicken's birth story

My little Chicken is a half!  Six months ago I was in hospital pacing in my cubicle, waiting for the call to go down to the operating theatre so they could get Eilidh out through the sunroof.  I'm not sure if I've blogged about this and I'm not techie enough to work it out, but I had to have a caesarean section because she was breech.

We found out just before Christmas that she still hadn't turned the right way round and the hospital told me that they would call me on Christmas Eve with a date for the operation.  By five that day I hadn't had a call, so it was a very tense Christmas.

By the 29th (the first day back at work after the holiday) I was getting quite frustrated and was on the phone at 9am sharp.  The person I spoke to had no idea, and they told me I'd get a phone call later.  At three that afternoon I was waddling around the supermarket and they finally called.  The news was not good, they had no spaces to deliver Chicken the week I was due!  I was like, "But you've got to get her out, she can't stay there forever!"  Basically I had to wait till either a space came free in their schedule or until I went into labour and I would have an emergency section.  Some how I made it home (no idea, a cab I think?) and phoned Andrew and then my mum in New Zealand in hysterics, I mean, how could there by no space??

The next day I was pottering around at home and the hospital rang.  The lady on the phone said that they had a date and that it was soon, so did I want to sit down?  As my due date was the 17th of January I was expecting it to be sometime just before then.  But no, the lady on the end of the phone said, its the 4th, like as in five days time, five days, OMG!!    Again I phoned Andrew and Mum to tell them the news and then I began to make some final plans, I was not at all ready!

Fast forward through a very quiet New Years Eve, and five days later we found ourselves driving to the hospital to have our little girl.  It has to be said I wasn't that excited that day, mostly I was nervous and sad.  I was nervous for obvious reasons, as Andrew liked to tell me, "They're gonna gut you like a fish".  But mostly I was sad because it wasn't going to be just the two of us any more, I mean, we really wanted children and I knew I couldn't wait to meet Chicken, but everything was about to change!! (Duh)

We got to the hospital and spent a nervous couple of hours talking to the surgeon, the anaesthetist, and the midwives about the operation.  We then got called and walked down the the operating theatre, which has to be one of the most surreal moments of my life, walking to my caesarean!  Not long after that, at 2:21pm to be precise my little Chicken was born.  And she was perfect and the most beautiful girl in the world!

Later this week I'm going to blog about what's going on for us at age six months, but for now here she is, six months ago, how was she ever that small?

1 comment:

  1. I cannot believe that she is 6 months!! O M G and I just LOVE birth stories! Thank you for sharing yours :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...