Tuesday 8 March 2011

Immunisations

Yesterday I took Chicken for her first immunisations.  I was a little nervous, my friend took her son last week and she cried, and well if she cried, I was going to bawl!  I fully support immunising your child, to me its a very important thing to do, the only thing I was worried about was having my baby poked with sharp needles!  My fears were confirmed when a little boy in front of us screamed the house down.
Chicken had two shots, one in each thigh, they were:
  • Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), polio and Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib, a bacterial infection that can cause severe pneumonia or meningitis in young children) given as a 5-in-1 single jab known as DTaP/IPV/Hib
  • Pneumococcal infection 
(thanks NHS for the info)

And then the screaming (her) and crying (both of us) began, poor girl looked so scared and I felt like the meanest mum in the world.  The nurses warned me she might get a temperature and would probably be quite ratty for the rest of the day, so I got prepared.  I did all my jobs straight after so we could get home and cuddle.  I was in the supermarket loading the groceries onto the belt and Chicken started to really scream so the nice woman in front of us unloaded my basket for me.  We were talking about how bad I felt, and then she said, "I know it hurts you to see her unhappy, but you wouldn't want her to get any of those diseases would you, so really you're doing a good thing"  What a kind thing to say!

Once we got home and Chicken was very subdued, sleeping on me all afternoon, with the occasional piercing howl when she was put down or bumped.

When Andrew got home I handed her over, and he commented on how clingy she was, not like our little girl at all.  All this time I (like any over-protective first time mum) was checking her temperature to see if we got to 37.5c, the time when Calpol could be given.  She got close (37.2) but just before bed it dipped, which coincided with her perking up a bit.  She was still quite quiet but did manage to flash Andrew a big cheesy grin! (which of course I didn't capture, this is just how she spend most of the evening, chillaxing with Dad)

She slept really well, and on the whole I think we got lucky, I mean most adults are slightly grumpy when they get shots!

On a completely different note, shes found her hands and is now stuffing then in her mouth to suck on at every opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...