Tuesday 19 April 2011

Books from my childhood

A couple of weeks ago I was in a second hand book store and was browsing in the kids section, looking for books for Chicken when I came across a couple of titles that took me straight back to my childhood.  They were Five on Finniston Farm, and Anne of Green Gables.  I've since read these books again and I think I enjoyed them even more as an adult.  This got me thinking about books I want to find for Chicken to either read to her or have her read when she is older.  I realise that this is a long long way away, but hey, you can never start too young!

I think I first read Anne of Green Gables and the subsequent series when I was fourteen as a part of my high school English class.  Luckily I went to a girls school, as cool as Anne is, I can't see boys getting into it!  I do remember watching the TV series before that, and wanting to wear my hair in a pouf like Anne when she got older.  I just love her character, her feistiness, caring nature and the love story that develops between her and Gilbert, whoops did I give too much away?  Maybe this is why I feel the need every couple of years to dye my hair red?  I also found myself crying like a baby (and I can't even blame the hormones) when something sad happens at the end, even though I knew it was coming - does anyone else do that?

I starting reading Famous Five books when I was much younger, we used to go camping a lot but I was very jealous of four children who were allowed to go off by themselves!  Somewhere at my parents house there are probably quite a few of these books hidden away.  Recently these books were given a modern makeover, and I think that the one I read was one.  I have to say, I'm not a fan, the classic language is all part of the charm of these books, and when I try and track down the others (for Chicken of course...) I'll aim for books published before 2010.

I think I'll also be on the lookout for Charlotte's web, Bridge to Terabithia, No One Went to Town, and quite a few others.  First though, we'll start with picture books, Dr Seuss' The Lorax or Where the Wild Things Are anyone?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE kids books, think it's the teacher in me!! Picture books are my fave, look out for anything by Julia Donaldson, The Tiger Who Came to Tea, We're Going on a Bear Hunt and Peace at Last! xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...